Applications due: September 16th, 2022 at 4:00pm
The 1L Certificate is a great introductory way for incoming 1L students to get involved with the Lab and its various projects on a volunteer basis. Our 1L student volunteers will support the current Project Leads and work closely with upper-year students who are taking the Practicum Course. The involvement of 1L students provides an opportunity to become an engaged member of the Conflict Analytics Lab moving forward. Towards the end of the year, students may apply to work with the Lab for their 1L summer and may also apply to take the Practicum Course in 2L or 3L. Upon completion, at the end of the year 1L students receive the ‘Scotiabank Certificate in Law and Data Analytics’.
In addition to meetings and optional guest lectures, 1L students have the chance to gain hands-on experience with answering questions that arise at the intersection of AI and legal research. To see more of CAL’s work in promoting access-to-justice via free AI-powered legal advice to the public, please visit: https://myopencourt.org
Currently, the Lab is working on projects in the following fields:
- Employment Law (determination of worker status and a series of predictive employment tools that determines whether a worker is entitled to minimum wage, overtime pay, and vacation pay)
- Dispute Settlement (an intelligent negotiation system)
- Social Media (a tool dedicated to hate speech determination)
- Information Privacy (a look into assessing compliance in data privacy)
- Covid-19 (Vaccine Mediator, in partnership with the British Institute of Comparative Law, and Oxford University)
- Trademark Law (risk-of-confusion assessment)
- Policy research opportunity for an industry leader in the HR/Technology space
Course Time: Wednesdays at 5-7pm (Fall) and Mondays 4-6 (Winter) (*Course time is not mandatory for 1L students)
The Conflict Analytics Lab highly values commitment and dependability and is seeking approximately 20 1L students who demonstrate a strong work ethic, in addition to excellent communication and analytical skills. Incoming 1L students should submit a short 300-word paragraph outlining their interest in the lab and any relevant experience.
Please send your applications to Professor Samuel Dahan (Samuel.firstname.lastname@example.org), with a CC to David Liang (email@example.com) and Solinne Jung (firstname.lastname@example.org) by September 16th, 2022 at 4:00pm for the 1L certificate program.
Please Use Subject Title: “1L Certificate Program 2022-2023, Last Name, First Name”.
If you are an incoming 2L or 3L, please see our post for the 2L/3L Practicum Course.